Thursday, January 31, 2019

Enjoying My Life

Since this is the last day of January, I better get my January blog post up!!

photo of 2019 light art

I have decided to enjoy my life more in 2019.  Now before you think this is another one of those me first blog posts, let me explain.


I have been wrestling with this new year differently than past years. Some years the expectancy of the new year and all it brings is almost tangible.  Other years a word for the new year comes powerfully to mind, and is confirmed over and over again. This year, meh.  Do I want to choose a half hearted word?  Do I want to make any resolutions?  What am I actually expecting this new year to bring?  What do I want the new year to bring?

I started a list of things I would like to accomplish in 2019.  Then I started a bucket list of sorts...a list of things I would hear the kids say they enjoyed.  Much of the list making leaned towards living more intentionally for the new year, "intentional" there's a word.

two white and beige pens on white paper

I have also been listening to podcasts and audible books on minimalism, and simple living.  Oh, "simplicity" there's a word.  What about, "growth" & "change"?  All good words, but somehow I just couldn't embrace them and run towards a year defined by one of those words.

Then while making homemade pizza it hit me.  I can enjoy everyday of my life!  The secret is doing things I enjoy everyday.  I'm not talking about pampering myself everyday.  But being true to my truest self.  True to the woman God created me to be.  What are the things I enjoy?  What are the things that make me feel good? What are the things that bring value to my life?  What is stopping me from doing more of them?

kitchen utensil lot on brown wooden floating shelf

I have been reflecting on this and will probably write more about it in future blogs.

Here's a partial list of the things that bring me joy...ordinary everyday...enjoyment and pleasure:

  • cooking and baking from scratch
  • sewing
  • reading to my children
  • snuggling with my husband
  • writing this blog
  • quiet time with God, reading my Bible and praying, listening for His still small voice. 
  • long baths 
  • lunches with friends
These are in no particular order and the list could be endless.  I didn't include things like the smell of my child's hair after playing outside or the feel of warm water on my hands when I wash dishes.

I am realizing that when we chase the perfect, the exciting, the extraordinary, we miss the everyday joys.  For me, I think my life will be more enjoyable if I take delight in the everyday, ordinary, life giving moments. When I embrace what brings a heart flutter to me, instead of chasing what I am supposed to be doing.  Instead of chasing the latest decorating trends, or lists of what the "ideal" woman should be doing, eating, wearing, etc.

I will be intentional about simplifying my life, but not with someone else's list.  I am going to ask God to show me what to let go of and what to embrace and enjoy, even if it doesn't look like what every other woman is keeping or doing.

white and red ceramic bowl

It has taken me years to realize that I cook from scratch, because I want to, I enjoy it.  Yes, it saves my family money, and is much healthier, but that is not my truest motivation.  You see I will splurge to eat at a restaurant, I will drive through a fast food restaurant, and even eat a hot dog, gasp.  I'm not a purist, I am looking more into health and weight loss, but my primary reason I cook from scratch is simple.  God created me to be creative, and cooking gives me a chance to be creative every single day.

I don't enjoy when I put a lot of myself into cooking a special meal and my child won't even taste it, but focusing on the process and the joy of cooking can overcome that if I choose to do it.

On the surface my life may not change much in 2019, or will it?  What I hope will change is how much I enjoy my everyday, ordinary, amazing life. 

bunch of white petaled flowers

And I pray each and everyone of you will do the same and join me in enjoying your life, everyday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment